According to a widely reported 1993 survey conducted by the Minnesota Amateur Sports Commission:
- Almost half (45.3%) of those surveyed (both males and females) said they had been emotionally abused while participating in sports (i.e. called names, yelled at, or insulted);
- Slightly more than 1 out of 6 (17.5%) said they had suffered physical abuse while playing sports (i.e. hit, kicked or slapped)
- More than 1 in 5 (21%) said they had been suffered neglect while playing sports (pressured to play with an injury)
- 1 in 12 (8%) said they had been sexually harassed while playing sports (called names with sexual connotations)
- 1 in 30 (3.4%) said they had been pressured into sex or sexual touching.