- Any signs or symptoms may signal concussion.
- Signs and symptoms may occur days after impact.
- An athlete doesn't need to hit his head to suffer a concussion.
- Helmets and mouth guards do not prevent concussions.
- Neuroimaging (CT/MRI) studies are usually normal with concussion.
- Youth athletes require more cautious, conservative care.
- A second hit before healing from the first can cause rare Second Impact Syndrome.
- Immediate rest (both physical and cognitive) helps reduce recovery time.
- Practice Brain Hygiene (baseline neuropsychological testing).
Concussion Tips For Parents