Concussion Evaluation and Management: An Overview
Sports concussion neuropsychologist Rosemarie Scolaro Moser, Ph. D. provides an overview of the concussion evaluation and management process leading, hopefully, to a student-athlete's return to sports:
1. Immediate removal from play in case of suspected concussion. Remember: symptoms may not appear right away, especially in younger athletes.
2. Examination by physician to rule out a more serious, potentially life-threatening brain injury.
3. Cognitive and physical rest to allow the brain to heal.
4. Return to play only when:
- athlete feels 100% symptom free;
- post-concussion neuropsychological tests (if available) have returned to baseline or better.
- the athlete has completed exertional testing without symptoms returning.
For more MomsTeam videos featuring Dr. Moser, click here.