The Riddell InSite Impact Response System is a new integrated monitoring and alerting tool designed specifically for the proactive protection of football players. Riddell developed InSite based on its Head Impact Telemetry System (HITS) and Sideline Response System (SRS), a technology that has analyzed nearly 1.8+ million impacts since 2003.
Riddell InSite utilizes new integrated technology to monitor and record significant head impacts sustained during a football game or practice. Coaches and other sideline staff will now have Riddell InSite's unique vantage point of what goes on inside the helmet at the time of contact. InSite is designed to alert team staff of high-risk single and multiple head impacts, and enable improved identification and management of concussion.
What it is:
Riddell InSite consists of three easy-to-operate components, designed to accommodate individual, partial or full teams up to 150 players:
- Player Unit - state-of the-art sensing technology featuring a five-point sensor pad in the liner of the helmet which measures impact severity, sending an alert to sideline staff when an impact or sequence of impacts exceeds a research-based head impact threshold.
- Alert Monitor - handheld device which receives alerts from the player unit, signaling to sideline staff with a blinking light, vibration and/or audio signal that a head impact(s) have occurred that exceed impact thresholds.
- Player Management Software - software suite which, once loaded on to a PC or Mac, allows sideline staff to assign equipment to players and to download historical instances of over-exposure. It also transfers and archives alert information on a computer and can be used to set up and maintain equipment assignments for one or more teams.
What InSite measures at impact:
InSite measures HITsp, an advanced head impact exposure metric encompassing effects of linear and rotational acceleration, duration and location into a single measure of head impact severity. This composite measurement is more sensitive to diagnosed concussions than any other impact severity metric currently available.
How it works:
- IMPACT: An impact occurs, and the Player Unit five-point sensor pad quantifies the impact.
- ANALYZE: Technology in the instrumented overliner analyzes the impact and assesses risk based on current scientific research and publications.
- TRANSMIT: If an impact or sequence of impacts exceeds a predetermined threshold, an alert is transmitted wirelessly from the Player Unit to the Alert Monitor.
- ALERT: The Alert Monitor notifies sideline staff of the impact by player number
- ACT: Team training staff uses best available clinical practices to conduct sideline concussion assessments (i.e., employing CDC concussion management guidelines).
How it analyzes:
InSite alerts are based upon three threshold factors:
- Player position
- Player skill, such as youth, high school or college
- Single impact, which includes the top 1 percent of impacts
- Multiple impacts, which include sequences of impacts (i.e., top 5 percent) captured during a rolling seven-day period
Riddell InSite will be available for purchase beginning in Spring 2013, and will be on the field during the 2013 football regular season.
Founded in 1929, Riddell is a premier designer and developer of protective sports equipment and a recognized leader in helmet technology and innovation. One of Easton-Bell Sports, Inc.'s most well-known brands and the Official Helmet of the NFL®, Riddell is the leading manufacturer of football helmets, shoulder pads and reconditioning services (cleaning, repairing, repainting and recertifying existing equipment).
- For Riddell's promotional video for the InSite, click here.
- For a page explaining the key features distinguishing the Riddell Insite from other impact response systems, click here.
- For an infographic about the Riddell InSite, click here.
- To learn more about the Riddell family of products or make a purchase, please call 800.275.5338 or visit its website.
IMPORTANT NOTE: The information in this article has been furnished by Riddell and MomsTEAM is not responsible for its accuracy. It is provided solely as a service to MomsTEAM viewers.